Tallahassee offers many great apartment options for those who have pets. Here are some quick tips to help you decide which pet friendly apartment best suits your needs.
- Does size matter? Tallahassee apartments usually decide what type of pets are allowed based on size and weight. Most weight limits are somewhere around 20 pounds. If you have multiple pets, make sure you find out if each animal is counted separately, or if the limit is 20 pounds combined.
- What’s the breed? For dog owners, there also might be restrictions on what particular breeds of dogs are allowed to be kept at the apartment. Some of the breeds that might be restricted are Rottweiler, Doberman, and German Sheppard. These rules aren’t necessarily the same across the board, so you should check with each apartment you are interested in to find out their individual restrictions.
- Are there any pet fees? It is not uncommon for extra fees to be associated with having pets live in your apartment. The fees can range from a jump in monthly rent, to a reduction in your security deposit when you move out. The fees help the apartment to offset any costs they might have to endure when cleaning your apartment when your lease is over.
- Who let the dogs out? Remember that when living in an apartment you will need to personally supervise your pet when letting them out to use the bathroom. Make sure the apartment you chose has available space to walk your pet. Choosing an apartment on the ground floor can also make taking the dog out less of a hassle then having to walk up and down stairs for everything bathroom trip.
- Read that lease! This may seem obvious to some, but surprisingly enough the majority of disagreements in apartments stem from renters not fully reading and understanding the lease they are signing. Make sure you find out up front about pet fees and restrictions so you know what you’re getting into when you sign the lease.
« Return to Relocation Guide